At Sheena’s Place, we offer hope and support to anyone 17+ affected by an eating disorder, as well as their families and friends, by providing a wide range of professionally facilitated support groups and services, free of charge. We are committed to inspiring hope, reducing stigma, raising awareness and offering meaningful help and information at all stages of recovery. Located in downtown Toronto, Sheena’s Place is a non- institutional, non-residential centre where people with similar issues and concerns come together in groups to share experiences, thoughts and feelings and to learn coping strategies. We offer groups for diverse individuals across the life span facing different mental health and disordered-eating challenges, as well as groups for families, friends and partners of those with eating disorders.
6-month contract – 21 hours (per week)
Reporting to the Executive Director, Sheena’s Place (SP), the Communications Specialist will lead the internal and external communications activities including digital media tools, print materials, website, social media, e-newsletters/reports and to highlight, illustrate and positively position SP programs and services to internal and external stakeholders.
This position’s schedule is flexible and will be determined in consultation and negotiation with the chosen candidate.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop communications strategies and an organization communications plan to engage key audiences, in collaboration with the Development Officer and Clinical Program team
- Develop, write and produce Sheena’s Place publications, including the organization’s annual report and donor newsletters (Gifts in Action)
- Write and produce fundraising and promotional materials as needed (e.g. information pamphlet, postcard, brochure)
- Lead the writing and production of a “story bank” featuring interviews and stories of the Sheena’s Place community (e.g. clients, donors, staff, volunteers, community partners)
- Provide design and messaging support for outreach presentations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE
- Experience in writing grant proposals or reports strongly preferred
- Experience working on WordPress-based platforms and webpage editing (CMS, HTML)
- Photography experience (camera equipment and photo editing knowledge)
- Experience shooting and editing video
- Prior experience working in a community mental health care setting, knowledge of mental health and eating disorders a strong asset
- Bachelor’s degree and/or diploma in journalism, professional communication or another relevant discipline
- Five (5)+ years’ experience working in journalism, marketing, communications or a related field, preferably in a community-based not-for-profit setting
- Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Strong familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Graphic design and photo-editing skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, ability to work independently and as part of a team, deadline driven, commitment to high-quality work
Sheena’s Place is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact us and let us know.
Interested candidates should send a CV, a cover letter, and a sample of your written work to: JP McMillan – jpmcmillan @sheenasplace.org – by January 24th, 2020.
We thank all candidates who apply. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For position overview, visit: https://www.phcap.ca/sheenas-place