At Sheena’s Place, we offer hope and support to anyone 17+ affected by an eating disorder, as well as their families and friends, by providing a wide range of professionally facilitated support groups and services, free of charge. We are committed to inspiring hope, reducing stigma, raising awareness and offering meaningful help and information at all stages of recovery. Located in downtown Toronto, Sheena’s Place is a non- institutional, non-residential centre where people with similar issues and concerns come together in groups to share experiences, thoughts and feelings and to learn coping strategies. We offer groups for diverse individuals across the life span facing different mental health and disordered-eating challenges, as well as groups for families, friends and partners of those with eating disorders.
Position: Group Facilitator (Independent Contractor)
Reports to: Program Manager
Position Details/Status: 10 or 12-week contract, possibility of renewal
Location: Virtual or in-person at 87 Spadina Rd., Toronto, ON
About Sheena’s Place:
Sheena’s Place provides free, low-barrier, group-based support to people affected by eating disorders, and to their family members and loved ones. We offer programs virtually and in-person, from a welcoming, non-institutional setting. In an effort to provide low-barrier access to support, our group members join programs based on self-referral. No diagnosis, doctor’s referral, or formal intake procedure are required for participation, and participants may join our programs during any stage of their recovery journey. Sheena’s Place does not provide treatment, case management, or 1-1 therapy.
About the role, and relationship to Sheena’s Place:
Sheena’s Place is adding new facilitators to our team! We are a small but mighty organization with 7 core staff members and a roster of independent contractors who facilitate groups. We are looking for dynamic group facilitators with a passion for providing non-judgmental support to people who are affected by eating disorders. The ideal candidate will have experience providing group facilitation in the mental health field (ideally with people affected by eating disorders), and values a collaborative approach to community-based care. Facilitators bring innovative and evidence-informed group proposals to the organization and lead support or structured skill-building/psychoeducational groups. Sheena’s Place provides a secure platform for virtual facilitation, space to host in-person groups, staff support, and facilitator training on organizational policies and procedures. Sheena’s Place is the health information custodian for group participants, and promotes and manages registrations for all groups.
Key Facilitator Responsibilities:
- Facilitate weekly group sessions and or/workshops (typically, a time commitment of 2-4 hours per week)
- Provide affirming, supportive experiences to group members to foster a sense of community
- Support group participants experiencing distress or crisis during sessions. Must be capable of engaging in safety planning with participants and helping participants transition to a higher level of care (eg. hospital), as needed.
- Complete a clinical group note and attendance record following each group session and submit to Sheena’s Place staff in a timely fashion
- Complete documentation related to clinical incidents/crisis support, as needed
- Uphold and adhere to the guidelines, protocols and policies for Sheena’s Place groups
- Submit a monthly invoice to Sheena’s Place’s Operations Manager for work activity
- Attend a paid 1.5 hour facilitator meeting during each season of facilitation
- Participate in orientation and ongoing training and professional development opportunities as they relate to program delivery at Sheena’s Place
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Degree in a health or allied health discipline, such as social work, art therapy, occupational therapy, etc.
- Current registration, in good standing, with an Ontarian professional regulatory body
- Prior experience leading therapeutically oriented group work
- Group facilitation or clinical experience working with people who are affected by eating disorders is a significant asset
- Comfort using Zoom and Microsoft Suite
- Completion and submission of a Vulnerable Sector Screening to the Program Manager
- Completion of the following: Crisis Prevention and Intervention 1-hour online training certificate, AODA training certificate, and Food Handler’s training certificate (for nutrition group facilitators only). The Program Manager will provide links for these trainings to successful applicants, as needed.
- Facilitators proposing virtual groups must provide their own tech equipment, including but not limited to: computer, high-speed internet, headphones, webcam, and microphone. Facilitators must have a confidential space available from which to host their sessions.
- Applicants with lived experience and/or former group members are welcomed to apply after at least 1 year of stable recovery and 1 year post accessing services at Sheena’s Place.
Types of Groups:
Sheena’s Place offers our members 5 different types of group experiences. Proposals from facilitators should align with one of the following group categories:
- Support Group
- Skill-Building Group
- Expressive Arts Group
- Body Image or Movement Group
- Nutrition Group
Location, Compensation, and Term:
Currently all programs are hosted online via Zoom for Healthcare, with a signed BAA. All facilitators will be provided with an account for their use during their group time. Beginning in September 2021, we aim to resume some in-person programming, at our building at 87 Spadina Rd., Toronto, ON.
As full compensation for the Performance of Services*, Sheena’s Place will pay the contractor:
- $150 per 90-minute group session, plus HST if applicable.
- $200 per two-hour group session, plus HST if applicable.
- $75 per seasonal facilitator meeting attended.
- If there are fewer than 3 clients in attendance for a group session, the contractor must only facilitate and bill for a 30 minute, brief check-in session ($45.00)
*Performance of Services refers to all activities necessary to facilitate the program, including setting up prior to the program, cleaning up following the program, and performing any crisis intervention duties, as necessary, in accordance with the Sheena’s Place Crisis Management Procedure manual.
Our groups are offered seasonally, with support groups running 12 weeks, and most other groups running 10 weeks. Occasionally we offer mini-series spanning 3-6 weeks, or 1-2 session workshops. Contracts are seasonal, with the possibility of renewal. Groups run any time from 10am to 8pm Monday to Thursday and 10am to 5pm on Fridays.
How to Apply:
Facilitators apply by proposing a group program for the Sheena’s Place community. This may be a group that has been run in another setting, or a new program. Interested applicants can apply here. If you would like to learn more about this opportunity prior to applying, or if you have any questions related to this posting, please contact the Program Manager, Kelsey Johnston, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-927-8900 x 340.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity. As a result of high application volumes, we may only be able to respond to those who are chosen for interviews. We appreciate your understanding!
Sheena’s Place is committed to having a workforce that is reflective of the diversity of the City of Toronto in general and of our participants in particular. We strongly encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including but not limited to: racialized persons, Indigenous persons, persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities. We value the contributions that each person brings, and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in our community.
Sheena’s Place is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC), Sheena’s Place will provide reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. During any stage of the recruitment process, please notify the Operations Manager, Julia Shierlaw, at email@example.com of the nature of any accommodation(s) you may require. Any information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially. Please note that at present, Sheena’s Place is not fully physically accessible (although we are working to change this!). We welcome applicants using mobility devices to apply for virtual facilitation.