Many people become interested in volunteering with Sheena’s Place as part of their journey towards health. We ask, however, that service users wait one full year following recovery (which includes using services at Sheena’s Place), before exploring volunteer opportunities with us.
Please note that all individuals who have been selected to volunteer at Sheena’s Place must participate in a police reference check process.
Board Member Volunteer Posting
Feb 1, 2024
Seeking Volunteer Board Members
About Sheena’s Place
Sheena’s Place is a unique community that provides high quality, low barrier, and timley supports to individuals with eating disorders and related mental health challenges. Our participants benefit from a range of group-based services aimed at increasing their capacity to cope and further their recovery. We also excel at providing training, and increasing awareness and understanding of eating disorders throughout Ontario. We envision a future where every individual has an accepting relationship with their body.
About the Role
The board of directors provides strategic oversight to Sheena’s Place. It is comprised of individuals who care deeply about improving lives. Each member brings their unique set of experiences, skills, knowledge, and perspectives to create a collective forum for sound organizational governance. Directors are unpaid volunteers.
We are currently seeking to add two board members, who identify as Indigenous, or as a member of equity-seeking groups, to further increase the range of perspectives within the group.
We are seeking individuals who:
- are passionate about improving the quality of life for those with eating disorders (EDs), connects with our vision and mission, and aligns with our values;
- will be fully “engaged”, as demonstrated by coming to meetings prepared, ready to listen/ask questions/share & challenge, encouraging of others to engage, consistently attend to committee work, fundraising, attendance at SP events, and participate in advocacy;
- is driven to deliver impact and advance SP’s strategy;
- can delicately balance innovation and new ideas with prudence, thoughtfulness and sound risk assessment/management;
- is keen on learning more about Sheena’s Place, its potential and how EDs fit into the broader mental health space;
- is strongly committed to the organization’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and objectives, will work diligently to live by the values associated with those goals, while recognizing that one is always learning and will make mistakes;
- defaults to a group interaction style of collaboration and open communication;
- is capable and willing to share their expertise drawn from their experience with one or more of the following (bolded categories of are of priority currently):
- Human Resources
- Lived Experience with Eating Disorders
- Nonprofit Governance;
- is willing and able to attend board meetings approximately every other month, and committee meetings as required
- and finally, upon occasion, will willingly delve into necessary operational aspects of SP when called upon.
What you can expect as a board member:
- the opportunity to contribute to efforts that make a meaningful difference in the lives of those with EDs, their loved ones, and others who may be susceptible to an ED;
- the opportunity to support a dedicated, hardworking and talented staff team;
- and the opportunity to work with, to be heard and valued by others who meet the criteria outlined above.
How to apply:
Please forward your CV with a letter of interest to John Choi, Executive Director, Sheena’s Place at firstname.lastname@example.org, prior to March 15, 2024.